epcblog

Devotional thoughts (Monday through Thursday mornings) from the pastor of Exeter Presbyterian Church in Exeter, NH // Sunday Worship 10:30am // 73 Winter Street

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Bible Survey - #1 - Genesis 1

In the Beginning


Is there meaning and order in the universe? Can I rest upon a Rock that is higher than I, or am I alone king over my own insecure destiny, looking over my shoulder lest I be overtaken by some more fit creature who will usurp my shaky throne? I am created in the image of God. The sun, moon, and stars are kings over a kingdom of light and darkness. The sea creatures, and flying host fill the oceans and the skies. A vast array of animals and plants populate all lands, and fill my heart with wonder. But I am a man, a member of that species that rules over all the realms of this universe.


As man, I am the only image, but I am only an image. The God of creation rests over the eternal seventh day. He is Sovereign over all. I have responsibility as His image-bearer. I have duties of love and service appropriate to my calling in a plan that is far above me. I serve the great King, the One who made me, provides for me, and is far above me. I can trust the one Almighty God. He is my Father. He is the divine Voice and Word of Creation who has declared His work to be good. He is the Spirit who hovered over the face of the deep and has brought us the light of life. He is singular, yet He is Father, Word, and Spirit. I will worship, obey, and enjoy Him forever.


Light and darkness, sun and shining star,

Creature filling waters high and low,

Plant and beast, and image-bearing man,

Bow before the Word, the Lord, the King!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home