epcblog

Devotional thoughts (Monday through Thursday mornings) from the pastor of Exeter Presbyterian Church in Exeter, NH // Sunday Worship 10:30am // 73 Winter Street

Thursday, August 11, 2011

2 Timothy 2:23

Controversy Settled”

(2 Timothy 2:23, August 14, 2011)


23 Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels.


23 Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies;

Being a fruitful servant of Jesus Christ is not just about what you say and do. There is a fruit of the Holy Spirit that goes by the name of “self-control.” There are many ways to be taught not to say or do something. A couple of electrodes to the neck can be very effective. I sometimes feel like I need a system like that. Someone with more sense than I have could maintain control of the remote, and I could wear a high collar in order to protect my pride. The setting on that remote would not have to be too terribly high in terms of voltage. Just a little nick would be enough, lest I yelp and draw attention to myself. This would be control, but it would not be self-control.


The spiritual fruit from God that is the best kind of self-control is a humility that is the offspring of the gospel. The gospel puts me in my place, both negatively and positively. Negatively, the cross reminds me of the seriousness of my offense against the Lord. Positively, the cross assures me of the good news of the love of God for me.


At this stage of my life I am somewhat braced emotionally for bad news. God can keep me standing through rougher waters than I previously suspected. When they come, I am learning that I will get through them. But good news brings me to tears. Is that crazy? There is no better news than the love of the cross, and the power of the resurrection. It is very moving to the soul, at least to this soul. The reason is that the good news that is at the core of the Christian message is not just a piece of heavenly artwork to be admired from far off. It is a new-heavens-and-new-earth drama, and we are in this life that God Himself has written for us. It touches us with something that will last forever. When I hear, see, or experience even a small amount of good news about my family, I quickly get weepy. The good news about Jesus Christ touches my heart in ways that bad news won't.


This is producing within me a new self-control about avoiding foolish and ignorant speculations. I don't want to have anything to do with them. They are more than a waste of my brief time on this earth. They are not good for me, and they are not good for anyone who would hear me spout off, whether that hearer was with me against me.


you know that they breed quarrels.

Jesus ends useless discussions. If people hear His controversy ending word in the cross and the resurrection, they have peace with the way that Jesus speaks. Those who resist His final-word approach to controversy, while they cannot yet embrace His good news solution, they may find that they do not know what they should say next. End of story.


When we try to make ourselves look intelligent, we do not end quarrels, we breed them. This is no way to represent the Man who put His life in the way of the worst quarrel that ever existed. Jesus took the punishment that we deserved, and we were granted His righteousness and the peace that was and is His with God. This is a powerful pattern for us to behold and to emulate. May the Lord grant us His self-control as we come to admire the good news of Jesus Christ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home