epcblog

Devotional thoughts (Monday through Thursday mornings) from the pastor of Exeter Presbyterian Church in Exeter, NH // Sunday Worship 10:30am // 73 Winter Street

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Psalm 56

They trample on me. My enemies trample on me all day long.

A person who tramples on another human being asserts his authority over that person. He is determined to do him harm. It is the exact opposite of lifting up another that he might be honored. To trample on someone begins with dragging him down to the ground.

Why would someone do that to another continuously? To oppress a person all day long is to assert complete dominance that can never admit any release. It is nothing like willing service, where one person gladly lowers himself in order that someone else might be lifted up. To trample over someone is to do violence to his will. This is the way mortal enemies and ruthless prisoners are treated.

Only a stronger friend can help, someone with power and love who can overthrow the oppressor. The suffering worshiper looks to God when he is afraid. He praises God. He trusts in God.

The thought of God, His character, His ability, His plan, takes away the debilitating fear of this adversary, When a victim trusts in God, he can say with confidence, “What can flesh do to me?”

Flesh can trample on me (even my own sinful flesh), but he cannot do that forever. A powerful Friend will help me. God will come.

The wicked can use their money and influence against my just cause. They can stir up others against me to do me harm. They can devise plots and look for me to fall into their traps. But they do not have the power of eternity in their hands. God's judgment will come.

The God who will come knows me. He knows my every sorrow, and He cares about my grief. He is on my side. The cross of Jesus Christ is the ultimate proof of this. If God were not for me, why would He have allowed His Son to face the horrors that even this psalm describes? He faced the plots of evil men. They lurked for Him. They thought that they had utterly destroyed Him. They thought that they had trampled all over Him. But He faced the cross willingly for me, to atone for my sin, and His empty tomb testifies to His victory.

The Lord has spoken about this in His Word. This Word is trustworthy and sure. In His Word I know about His actions and His intentions. I praise Him, and I praise His Word! It enters my ear and strengthens my soul. Even now I am revived.

The Lord Jesus was heard when He cried out to His Father. He made precious promises in His great distress, promises that touch upon my life as one who has joyfully surrendered to Him. He will bring the praise of a willing people to God forever. I will thank Him and offer up my life to Him eternally. I will walk before God in the light of life. No oppressor can take that away from me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home