epcblog

Devotional thoughts (Monday through Thursday mornings) from the pastor of Exeter Presbyterian Church in Exeter, NH // Sunday Worship 10:30am // 73 Winter Street

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Proverbs 18


What would wisdom look like in my life if God had His way? His opinion would be more important than mine, and I would expect to hear it more in communion with His people than in a life of isolation with my own thoughts.
He has a fountain of wisdom for me, a bubbling brook of life. We can drink from those healthy waters together.
My sinful flesh wants to add a dissenting opinion. The Spirit of God says, “Rejoice in the Lord always!” My old heart insists on a soulful rendition of “Nobody knows the troubles I've seen.” But God will win.
Not all communion with others will move me in the right direction. If I listen to whisperers who are sowing discontent, how will I be helped to be more like Jesus? But if we open up the word together, if we pray and sing to the Lord, my heart will rejoice in the Lord, and so will yours.
The ear of the wise seeks knowledge. Will you help me by speaking words of life in my hearing? It is the responsibility of the Christian community to acknowledge together the full message of the faith. We do not deny the reality of trouble, but we know that the Name of the Lord is a strong tower for all who trust in Him. We run to that tower together and find security.
Together we use the gifts that God has given us, and we are brought into the presence of the greatest King. We serve one another in love, and find the beloved Husband of the church.
This is why God made us. We have been saved out of a life of folly in order to live together in the wisdom of Jesus Christ for the glory of our Almighty Father. We have a Friend who sticks closer to us than a brother. Think of how He embraced us through His death on the cross. He receives the glorified church as His wonderful bride, a gift of His own grace. May the Lord help us to share His heavenly assessment and to walk in the wisdom that comes from knowing Him together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home