epcblog

Devotional thoughts (Monday through Thursday mornings) from the pastor of Exeter Presbyterian Church in Exeter, NH // Sunday Worship 10:30am // 73 Winter Street

Thursday, December 01, 2011

Psalm 57

There are certain very basic facts of worship that are worth our regular consideration.

1. We are sinners.
2. God is holy and just.
3. We need His mercy for life and salvation.
4. He loves us.

We should add one more:
5. We need to yield to Him today.

The person who is willing to yield to the God of Jacob will find that the Lord's ears are open to his cries for mercy. The Lord will be his refuge.

This world is under His curse. Here we meet serious storms of destruction. But our souls find safety and wholeness under the shadow of His protection.

This great God has a good purpose. I have been caught up in that purpose, which means that He has a purpose for me. He will send help from the place of greatest power, His throne in heaven, and He will save me. Though men and angels would want to bring about my utter destruction, the Lord will put to shame the adversary who seems to have his foot on my neck.

Who is the adversary of God's people in their suffering and oppression? No matter who or what is against me today, any force or being in all of creation cannot separate me from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus my Lord. God will send His covenant-keeping love and faithfulness to me today. If He gave His Son to atone for my sins, surely His purpose is to give me all things. Though He may seem to delay, He will not be stopped.

This is not to minimize the dangers of life in this world. Think of the powerful adversaries our Lord faced when He came to work our salvation. Think of those who desire the destruction of Israel and the church in every century. But God's glory is above the heavens, and He will be exalted over all the earth.

Pharisee, Sadducee, Herodian, the devil, a false friend... they were all conspiring to kill Jesus of Nazareth. But God brought about a fulfillment of the Scriptures and the defeat of death itself in the cross of Christ.

This is worthy of my consideration as I face the trials He has lovingly ordained for me today. Therefore, I will praise Him now.

Won't you praise Him with me? My soul has been too sleepy. My arms have been drooping for too long. Come and worship the Lord with me.

The sky is beginning to show the light and glory of the sun rising in the east. But the God who saved me is above the highest heavens. He rules over the earth. He is worthy of our thanksgiving and praise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home