epcblog

Devotional thoughts (Monday through Thursday mornings) from the pastor of Exeter Presbyterian Church in Exeter, NH // Sunday Worship 10:30am // 73 Winter Street

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Trip Log

Romania and Ukraine Mission 2007

Tuesday, June 26 through Wednesday, June 27

Our Presbytery team (Bruce and Betsy Johnson, Julie Kyle, Dave Herrod and I) left Exeter for New York City, then Milan, then Timişoara, then Valea Draganalui, the site of the conference on Christianity and Society.

Thursday, June 28

Approximately 150 guests at the conference began to arrive. These included mayors and other political leaders, many pastors and ministry leaders. There were more Christians then I expected. Hong Key Chung, our host, had many people extend greetings to the assembled guests. This was a nice feature, and something different than what we might expect at a similar American gathering. People from each denomination greet everyone. People from each region greet everyone. People who are known leaders greet everyone.

I was surprised to find out that among those present were three relatives of Costin Şuster, our long-time friend and partner in Romanian ministries. The first plenary session was a very forceful, professional, and entertaining presentation of biblical roles within the family. I was struck by the clarity of the message from this Romanian pastor, who has written extensively on this topic.

Later that afternoon our team gave our first seminar presentations: Dave on trials, Bruce and Betsy on peace-making, Julie on being a single Christian, and me on European and American examples of family leadership. All of us felt like these went OK, but we were not entirely satisfied with our first efforts.

Ionel and Mihai Szuroka, two of our Romanian family, arrived. They wanted to attend the conference very much. They shared a dorm room with Dave and me. That evening the four of us took a walk around the village where the conference was held.

Friday, June 29

In the morning we had the 2nd plenary session of the conference. It turns out that Costin’s uncle was giving the presentation on the topic of Christian interaction with society. After a short break I gave the next talk on the importance of the doctrine of the Fatherhood of God for individuals, families, churches, and the world at large. I was able to present some of the material on “non-practicingism” as contrasted with Calvinism.

Later we all gave our small group seminars a second time. We all felt that they went better, since we allowed more opportunity for interaction in that smaller setting.

John Ashcraft gave an excellent talk on four things that we need to emphasize in our current environment: 1. Nobility, 2. Humility, 3. Integrity, and 4. Availability. The attendees really appreciated his presence at the conference.

After dinner Dave, Julie, Ionel, Mihai, and I took a walk on a mountain road. We met an old man resting at a small orthodox shrine tucked away on that path. We were somewhat confused in our communications with him, and I think that I accidentally purchased some fresh milk that we did not take delivery on. I also got to talk to Candy using Hong Key’s phone, which was a great thrill. It was not a great connection, but at least it was something – enough of a conversation to let her know that I missed her and that everything was going very well.

Saturday, June 30

We had the final plenary session of the conference, with General Ashcroft singing several songs at the request of the crowd and adding some brief remarks on the importance of human responsibility for bringing about justice in society. The day was filled with excellent interactions with many Romanians. The boys got a ride to Cluj from a vacationing couple from Baia Mare who were attending the conference. They took the train home from Cluj. It was great to see them.

Our team took the train from a nearby village to Arad, with our Romanian friend Ciprian as our guide. We enjoyed lots of theological discussion on the train, with yours truly doing much pontificating… We were met in Arad by Ovi Martin, the Romanian director of Romanian Christian Enterprises. The group was distributed over three host homes. Dave and I stayed with Ovi, his wife daughter, and their three girls.

Sunday, July 1 – Tuesday, July 3

I preached at two Baptist churches on Sunday. As always, I seem to feel better about things the second or third time I get to speak. I’m thinking that I need to pretend that I have already spoken once here whenever I get to a new city, and then all will go well J.

For the next two days we were given a wonderful introduction to the ministry in Arad. This was the second time for me, which was a great joy. I was able to visit several families in their homes that I had met five years ago and to see their progress with the help of this good ministry. Along the way we enjoyed delicious meals with many friendly people, including both staff and clients of RCE.

It was hard to keep up with Ovi… Here is a man who is being used by God in a wonderful way. His wife Doina and Mimi and Carmen and the entire staff are a great joy. It added a lot to have Scott Brown from the US with us. Scott is on the Board of RCE.

RCE has various ministries (Sunshine School, Darius House, Cottages for Disabled Children, Love Houses, Care Ministry, etc… I am especially impressed by their efforts to help families of faith stay together when they are facing sudden severe economic stress. That was something of a theme of this particular trip for me. In most cases I think it is best if there is some way to keep families together, even when the situation in that household is not optimal. Many of the above ministries have to do with education, housing, and care of children with mild to severe handicaps. This is good work.

We received a hands-on opportunity to help when each of us was assigned one child as we took some of the children for a morning at the park. That kind of experience really helps you to appreciate the challenges that workers face in these situations.

We ended Tuesday at a Romanian Pizza Parlor where Ovi, Dave, Scott, and I were discussing ways that we might be able to help RCE in the future as those who have really been touched by this ministry. I am sure that Julie, Bruce, Betsy, and Doina were also discussing something very important, I just was not at that table J.

Wednesday, July 4

I had hoped that I might be able to return home with the rest of the group, but apparently the Lord had another plan. They went back to New England, and I took an all-day train to Suceava, in the northeastern part of Romania (not too far from Roman). Already I am seeing the Lord’s hand as Ovi and I discussed ways that RCE might be able to hire Ionel and Mihai as summer interns.

My host in Marginea (a very picturesque village not far from the Ukranian border) is Ionel Bodarnescu, a man I have now met for the second time. He is a contact of Hong Key’s and is part of the Lord’s Army, a renewal group for approx. 100 years that has been loosely connected with the Romanian Orthodox church. Ionel and his whole family are wonderful hosts, and now, dear friends.

Thursday, July 5 – Saturday, July 7

Ionel drove to the Ukranian border, where an Italian couple drove me through Ukranian Customs to the border city of Chernotz. There I was met by Mykola Faryga, and Roman and Sasha. This was a wonderful two days with the Farygas and Savchuks. The work of starting the Presbyterian movement in this part of the world is very exciting. There is a deep appreciation for reverent worship, biblical ministry, and solid theology that is in evidence in everything that this new group is doing. RC Sproul has been such a blessing in these important areas.

With over 60 theological classics translated into Ukranian and some very exciting plans for the future, Mykola, Ivan, and the entire team are being greatly blessed by the Lord. The site of their almost completed home/church is wonderful. I was able to sit in on one of their orchestra practice sessions as they prepare to use majestic classical music in future worship services.

Roman and Sasha are doing well. It was great to see them. I can see the wisdom of their return to the Ukraine, and I was very privileged to get a first hand tour of the village from the boys. On Saturday morning Mykola drove me back to Chernotz. During the drive I was able to hear more of the story of his journey of faith from communism to RC Sproul. It is quite an exciting account of God’s grace. I was picked up in Romania again by my friend Ionel, and spent the rest of the day preparing for preaching tomorrow.

Sunday, July 8 – Tuesday, July 10

I preached at a Pentecostal church in the morning, a Lord’s Army church in the late afternoon, and then finally at a Baptist church. Ionel’s niece Simona, an English student from the University at Timisoara, was my translator at all three services. At the end of the day we visited the home/factory of a Pentecostal friend who employs over 500 people at his shoe factory. Every Sunday night he sings Pentecostal hymns with some family and friends with an accordion and an open microphone. People from the area seem to like to come by and listen. As you know, I enjoy singing too…

The next day we drove to Suceava where we visited an impressive Christian school (reminds me of PCA in Dover). This sort of thing is very rare in Romania. They are ministering to some very poor families in one of the most challenged regions of Romania near the border with Moldova. The students live at the school and are educated there. Most people here grow their own food. Unfortunately, to BUY food for students is remarkably expensive here (more than US). It will cost the school approximately $180 per month to pay for each student’s food! They do not know where the money is going to come from, and September is fast approaching.

We prayed there, and they asked me to think of people in the US who may be able to help. Ionel feels that this is a very important ministry for the Suceava area.

I then was interviewed by a Christian radio station about what it is like to have a church that is committed to missions. We were able to discuss the recent trip to Kampala, as well as some things that we have done in Romania.

That night after dinner Ionel drove to the train station, and I began an all night ride to Timişoara, from where I am writing you these notes. I am at the home of a pastoral friend of Hong Key’s called Ben-Oni. He is a very impressive and busy young man who is making a mark on this city and country. He translated for me at the conference.

Tomorrow I begin my journey home. I am eager to see my wife, children, and church. Thank you for your prayers and your love and support. Keep praying!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home