epcblog

Devotional thoughts (Monday through Thursday mornings) from the pastor of Exeter Presbyterian Church in Exeter, NH // Sunday Worship 10:30am // 73 Winter Street

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Psalm 120


Because of the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, many people all over the world are on a journey. The journey's end is the heavenly Jerusalem where Christ, our High Priest, reigns at the right hand of the Father. While we are already in the heavens in Christ, we feel the distance between our present location and the desire of our hearts very acutely. We long for the journey's end.

Psalms 120 through 134 are songs for this journey. We begin today very far from Jerusalem. But we have songs to sing as we travel. We start in the world, but we will end at the heavenly Jerusalem.

Why am I so frequently distressed?

I need to call out to the Lord again today. He will help me. My mind is racing, even though I am alone on my couch. I remember the words of others, conversations that were comprised of carefully chosen dialogue on all sides. Am I replaying those words all night long, disturbing my own sleep, or is there an adversary poking my soul? Are You wanting me to figure something out, Lord?

In my distress, I call upon the Name of Jesus. I want Him. I want heaven. I want a sound mind and a clear heart. Help me, Lord!

What if my lips are the lying lips in this psalm? What if my tongue is the deceitful tongue? What if I am too often the double-minded man, trying to say the right things with others, and then thinking it all through over and over again until I am exhausted? What if all of us in the replayed conversation have two much world in our hearts, and too little Jesus; too little heaven?

Send the arrows of Your good Word into all our hearts, O Lord, and put to death everything of the old man that is in us. Sanctify Your children in the Messiah.

I live too far from the heavenly Jerusalem, and for no good reason. Jesus has made a way for me to be very close to Him all the time. I have His Word, which is a very great aid to me in every situation. I even have His Holy Spirit dwelling within me. His Life in me is the very sure Hope of Glory. I do not have to imagine the place of perfect sanctification as being so very far away. The Word of God is in my mouth and in my heart. If I will confess with my mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in my heart that God raised Him from the dead, then I will be saved from the enemy that assaults from both without and within. See Romans 10.

I have dwelt too long in lands that are way too far from the heavenly Jerusalem. I need to be on pilgrimage again, with Christ leading me, and His Word and Spirit inside me and around me guiding me home.

That's my problem. And I already feel better.

And now, may the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, guard our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Onward and upward in the powerful love of the Lord!

1 Comments:

At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen Brother Steve and that's my problem too! Bring me back home Jesus let lie down in Your green pasture and sit, ponder and meditate upon Your word by the still water. Once again Steve your willingness to be transparent inspires us to be the same. Let us fall in line behind our Savior, may we rest knowing that He is the voice we follow. May God Bless His saints and shine His face upon us as we walk on this pilgrimage together! DS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home