epcblog

Devotional thoughts (Monday through Thursday mornings) from the pastor of Exeter Presbyterian Church in Exeter, NH // Sunday Worship 10:30am // 73 Winter Street

Monday, May 14, 2007

Morning Devotion - Prov. 13

Read Proverbs 13

There is much in proverbs (including in this chapter) about the tongue and about diligence, but notice this morning the instruction in verse one about the ear of the righteous man. "A wise son hears his father's instruction."

John 6:38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me.

John 12:23-28 23 And Jesus answered them, "The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. 24 Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. 25 Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 26 If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him. 27 Now is my soul troubled. And what shall I say? 'Father, save me from this hour'? But for this purpose I have come to this hour. 28 Father, glorify your name." Then a voice came from heaven: "I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again."

The Lord Jesus Christ had a perfect ear for the will of His Father and a perfectly obedient and powerful heart that was eager to will and to do according to the voice of His Father. This is the ground of our salvation. We are called today to hear God's voice in the Scriptures and to obey.

John 10:27-28 27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.

The Point: The ear of the Righteous One is ready to hear the Father's voice, though it bid Him come and die.

May God's grace and peace be with you this day. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home