epcblog

Devotional thoughts (Monday through Thursday mornings) from the pastor of Exeter Presbyterian Church in Exeter, NH // Sunday Worship 10:30am // 73 Winter Street

Sunday, April 01, 2012

Psalm 121


The Lord is the Lifter-up of my head.

On my journey to the heavenly Jerusalem, it will do me and those around me no good for me to gaze into a pit of despair, memorizing its ugliness. I need to look up. How can I do that? You will be my help.

I look to the hills, to the peaks that are visible in this creation. I see the mountaintops on a canvas of sky. The hills are majestic and unmovable. But they cannot save me.

I see the temple mount as I draw near, and I remember where to go to find Help. On Mount Moriah, Abraham was prepared to sacrifice his son Isaac. That mount became the mount of the Lord. On the mount of the Lord, You provided salvation.

When You gave Your only Son as our Substitute, He was lifted up for us on the cross. All who look to Him, find life. But when He ascended to the place of Almighty power, He did not go to the temple mount in Jerusalem, but to the heights of heaven.

I will lift up my eyes beyond the mountains and beyond the skies to the place where Jesus reigns. My Help is there. You are my Help. He is my Help.

You keep me. You keep Israel. You keep Your church. You will not allow us to stumble forever. You have a gift for me today; the assurance of Your grace. The end of the journey is certain. This refreshes me, and I am able to keep on going.

I can sleep because You never do. If I fall, You will still be holding me in the end. Even if the elements of Your creation seem to be my enemies, You will forever be my Friend.

You are keeping me through this life, and You will keep me forever. You are near me. Should I just look up now to see You? Should I look up beyond the mountains and the skies, beyond Jerusalem?

I will look at the glories of creation, and I will think of You, creation's Author. I will meditate on the wonders of how You have kept me throughout this life, and I will remember You again. I will hear the Word of Salvation, and see the Redeemer who saves Me. I will dream of heaven and find the Help I need today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home