epcblog

Devotional thoughts (Monday through Thursday mornings) from the pastor of Exeter Presbyterian Church in Exeter, NH // Sunday Worship 10:30am // 73 Winter Street

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Psalm 142


Trials come. Sometimes there is sin involved: my sin, your sin, someone else's sin. Sin messes up so much. It does have consequences, and I do need to take responsibility for not listening to the Voice of the Lord in the Scriptures. But when I go through some challenge or inconvenience in my life, I am starting to develop the habit of looking for the Lord's grace in the midst of it. I understand from the Bible that God is working all things together for the good of those who love Him. Is there some grace in your troubles?

Israel often got into trouble. They did not listen to the voice of God the way they should have, and they were not faithful to the Lord. They were responsible moral agents and suffered consequences according to the Lord's warnings. But there was grace even in the midst of consequences. In their trials they began to seek the Lord again.

We can believe all the right things about the Lord, and still be wandering from our necessary direct connection with God through Jesus. We can be right about so much, and still be very distant. The Lord, in His grace, will only let us wander so far from home. He brings His sheep back.

Everyone has a breaking point. That's a good thing. Time to cry out to the Lord again. Time to plead for mercy. Time to tell Him my troubles.

My spirit may be so low that I barely know my name. But the Lord knows my way. God is not growing old and forgetful. He is eternally vital. He knows that I live in a war zone, and that an enemy may have evil intentions to sift me as wheat, to tempt me so that I would utterly fall. The devil tempts me to destroy me, but the Lord tests me to teach me how to fight and win by grace. He is leading me home, and He will use even my failures to help strengthen others on the way.

If the Lord is my only refuge, life has suddenly been made simple. The Lord will rescue me. I can call upon His Name. I remember the resurrection of my King. Jesus cried out in trouble, and was heard. Through Him, God will hear me. He will.

I felt like I was all alone. But after I was rescued by the Lord from despair, I found that I was surrounded by the righteous. I thought I was alone, but He made me a part of a family of grace!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home