epcblog

Devotional thoughts (Monday through Thursday mornings) from the pastor of Exeter Presbyterian Church in Exeter, NH // Sunday Worship 10:30am // 73 Winter Street

Sunday, May 06, 2012

Psalm 141


A man in need may not be able to get to the place of worship where God has told His people to assemble. He requires an instant meeting with the Lord wherever he finds himself. He needs help immediately, so he calls upon the Name of the Lord.

He may not be on a battlefield or in a prison cell. A person can be in great need at a dinner party among the rich and famous. What will he say? What will he do? He needs the Lord's help lest he fall into a stream of unbelief and be carried along to some dangerous place, distant from his own sense of the presence of God.

What will I do in the company of the ungodly? What will I be repenting about tomorrow when I come to my senses? Is there a righteous man in the house who can slap me across the face right now just so I can regain my senses? It would be a kindness and not an offense.

Even if no man is available, God can speak to my heart by His Word. Let me hear the Voice of God more than the flattery of the famous. Let me pray to God through this time of soul danger. Let my prayer be continually against the evil deeds of the self-righteous and the wicked, asking God that they might not win, and that His Name would be glorious among His people.

If I speak a word, may it be true and pleasant in the ears of God and His people. May Christ, the Rock of Ages, fill my heart and my mind. Then let my mouth speak. May heaven be more real to me now than the finest array of impressive people that this dying earth could muster up before me.

I believe in Jesus. I believe that He is coming again. I believe that the trumpet shall sound. I believe in the resurrection of the dead. I believe in the new heavens and earth. I believe in God, that He is very good, and that He is far more worthy of worship than all the kings of the earth that ever have been or ever will be.

My eyes are toward you, O God, my Lord! You are my rescue. You are my defender in every time of need. Another demonic trap avoided by the grace of God. The wicked fall into their own nets, and I pass out of the prison of worldliness safely. And a new day comes. It's time to praise the Lord.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home