epcblog

Devotional thoughts (Monday through Thursday mornings) from the pastor of Exeter Presbyterian Church in Exeter, NH // Sunday Worship 10:30am // 73 Winter Street

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Apostles Creed, #14

Continuing in the Apostles Creed... I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord: who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died,


"And buried;"


The burial of the Messiah is the proof of His death and the lowest point of His humiliation. In fulfillment of the word of the prophet Isaiah, the body of Jesus was placed in the grave.


I trust in a Messiah who experienced this Sheol and conquered it.


Because He inhabited a tomb and defeated it, the grave has lost the severity of its sting.


Isaiah 53:9 And they made his grave with the wicked
and with a rich man in his death,
although he had done no violence,
and there was no deceit in his mouth.


1 Samuel 2:6 The Lord kills and brings to life;
he brings down to Sheol and raises up.

Psalm 18:4 The cords of death encompassed me;
the torrents of destruction assailed me;

5 the cords of Sheol entangled me;
the snares of death confronted me.

6 In my distress I called upon the Lord;
to my God I cried for help.
From his temple he heard my voice,
and my cry to him reached his ears.


Jonah 2:1 Then Jonah prayed to the Lord his God from the belly of the fish, 2 saying,

“I called out to the Lord, out of my distress,
and he answered me;
out of the belly of Sheol I cried,
and you heard my voice.


Hosea 13:14 Shall I ransom them from the power of Sheol?
Shall I redeem them from Death?
O Death, where are your plagues?
O Sheol, where is your sting?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home