epcblog

Devotional thoughts (Monday through Thursday mornings) from the pastor of Exeter Presbyterian Church in Exeter, NH // Sunday Worship 10:30am // 73 Winter Street

Friday, May 18, 2012

Psalm 147


 “A new song of praise is fitting.”

I am ready this morning for a new song of praise. But what will it cost for me to sing that song? I am nervous at the prospect.

There is no good alternative for the brokenhearted but the full trust of the Lord. The Lord who is worthy of my praise is worthy of my trust. There is no trial that can come to me this day that could change the character of God or His settled determination to love me. He is building up the new Jerusalem. He is gathering the outcasts of the world far beyond the borders of Israel. He will heal me.

The Lord knows. Intelligent people may discover stars, but God determined their number long ago. He knows them by name. He did not have to pay anyone for the right to do that. That's just who He is. He settled it long ago that He would use all His power and wisdom to lift up the humble and to cast wicked oppressors out of their lofty stolen positions of honor.

I do fear the Lord. I do. I will bow before Him through the love of Christ, and join the swelling ranks of the humble throughout the world. And I will worship Him.

The Lord not only determined the starry host. He also feeds and cares for all His creatures. He does what is necessary in the skies above and in the earth below to water the land and to bring forth food from the soil. He feeds the ravens. Over all these years have I ever been lacking in food?

He is not looking for my strength today, as if he needed it. He is looking for me to be willing to be weak, since His power is perfected in my weakness, not in my strength. So He wins today. Blessed be His Name. I am weak. And I am reading here that He actually takes pleasure in those that fear Him, and who place all their hope in His steadfast love.

Now that works for me. The cross really does mean something to me. I have found it to be the perfect expression of the love of God for sinners. I have been brought low enough to see my extreme need for that kind of love, and I have received it.

If I could see His providence for His entire church with true eyes, I would rejoice more than I can even imagine. I need to trust Him in His heavenly promises. Peace, the best food, the perfect environment for the delight of my senses; all of these kind provisions are from Him.

I am not lacking in His Word. He has made my alive through it. He feeds me every day with another generous helping from His storehouse of truth.

I love You, Lord.

Perfect love casts out fear, at least the crushing kind of fear, the fear of torment. The perfect love of the cross of Christ has come. The perfect fulfillment of heaven is mine as His gift. The Word has reached me again today, and I believe. The Lord will be my Help again today. I am thankful to be alive to His goodness. Praise the Lord!

I will sing a new song of praise. I will enter into the sufferings of someone else. I will do what the Lord has for me, and by His power I will lift up another man who is low. And I will sing a new song to the Lord. It is fitting. It is right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home